Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fatherly worries

So Makenna is in a couple of back-to-back weddings this year, and while that's no surprise (being as cute as she is and all), it raises a "dad" question in my head. I mean, she's going to be all decked out, dressed to the nines, and I'm sure she's going to be such an angelic figure, regardless. I guess what I'm "struggling" through is the fact that she'll have makeup on! Yeah big deal, right? What's the problem? There's no problem per se , but its just the thought of knowing that my little baby girl is growing up. Sure it's only for a few hours for each wedding, but maybe that's just the beginning? She's already playing with mommy's makeup brushes, imitating how mommy puts on blush or whatever. She's also found my chap stick and will sneak off into our bedroom to put it on. Afterwards, she'll come out of the room and say, "look daddy, I have lipstick!" She's only two, but I'm already looking ahead to the days where she's going to want to put on makeup, wear fake nails, and shop for nothing but "name brands!" I understand that I still have a few years before the worry sets in, but the way time is moving, it may as well be next week! I'm sure all fathers who have baby girls can relate. It doesn't seem like such a big deal, that is, not until it actually happens. I just want my baby girl to stay a baby as long as possible. Is that too much to ask? Is that selfish of me? Don't get me wrong, having a boy presents itself with the same types of "future worry," but I think it isn't as nerve-racking as the worries when you have a little girl.

Look Daddy, I have lipstick!

No comments: